Avoid rust: Selecting the correct screw characteristics
In order to avoid rust in environments classified as aggressive, stainless steel deck screws are a must. The type of construction and choice of materials can also be crucial if the assembly requires stainless steel to extend its lifespan. Non-stainless-steel screws or screws that lack the correct surface treatment risk corrosion (rust), which in turn can lead to fractures in the steel. It is therefore important to choose the screw according to where, how and with what you will build your wooden deck.
Enivirments where stainless steel is recommended
- Coastal or near coastal locations, marine environments and docks. Wooden decking in these environments is subjected to high levels of salt and moisture, which contribute to large movements in the structure.
- Pool decks because pool water is more aggressive than normal water and the environment is usually moister.
- Decks close to entrances where road salt (de-icing salt) is used because the corrosive substances in the salt can penetrate the wooden construction.
- Wooden decks that will be washed, since cleaning agents accelerate the degradation process of the screw’s surface treatment.
- Large wooden decks, since the movements within the structure exert a significant force.
- Rails and stairs because the structure moves when used.
- High above the ground because the structure moves more than it would near the ground.
- Below ground level because the risk of corrosion is much greater.
- Wooden decks made of woods such as Teak, Cumaru, OrganoWood and Siberian larch, as these woods flex more.
Wood dimensions and distances
Wood type, environment and size determine which option is best. For an approved assembly, always follow the wood suppliers' instructions for the distance between the boards.
- Hardened carbon steel, corrosivity class C4
- Stable, low constructions
Stainless steel A2
- Unhardened steel, corrosivity class C4
- All types of constructions
- Areas exposed to lake/ brackish water
- Rails, fences and stairs
Stainless steel A4
- Unhardened steel, acid resistant, corrosivity class C5
- All types of construction
- Pool decks and docks
- Coastal areas and areas exposed to saltwater
- Selected wood types